Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving redux 2006

I love this time of year because it's really all about food. In particular, Thanksgiving is an amazing time to load-up on the carbs. That's why it's so much fun when you get to spend it with people who really love to eat. Last year, we had Cindy (Albert's sister), our friends Julie and Bob along with Bob's parents and my dad over for Thanksgiving. We made way too much food and had a fantastic time. This year, even though it was a year in which we were supposed to be in LA (we switch off each year between Albert and my family), we decided to spend Thanksgiving close to home since my due date was only a week away. I didn't want to overload my mom with Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's duty so we took up Julie's kind offer to have all of us over to her house for a mega-Thanksgiving feast. This year, Julie really outdid herself because we had 14 people over at her house!

The people: Julie, Bob, Bob's parents, me, Albert, my parents, Aileen, Chris, Jeffrey, Nancy, Linda and Joseph (Linda's husband).


Thanksgiving Turkey

Thanksgiving Turkey
Originally uploaded by amiura.


It was a packed house with a packed menu: turkey, way to much stuffing, curried peas, corn, grilled vegetables, orange glazed yams, broccoli quiche, beans in mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce.

Dessert, which was a entirely separate meal, consisted of: flan, sweet potato pie, pumpkin bread, fruit tart (an Aileen specialty), cupcakes and apple crumble.

I was anticipating a depressing Thanksgiving for myself in which my diet was entirely restricted (due to gestational diabetes) but I figured, "how much damage can I really do in one meal anyway?" and ate with gusto. I had stuffing to my heart's content as well as a sampling of every dessert. I later confessed this to my doctor but only after I checked my blood sugar with Julie an hour after my meal... I was at 98 - meaning I could have another carb serving! Julie who is not diabetic had a higher reading than me!


Al and Ann

Al and Ann
Originally uploaded by amiura.


All in all, Thanksgiving was a great success. This year in particular I have so many things to be thankful for. I have fantastic friends who give great advice and unconditional support and love. I have wonderful parents who continue to serve as role models to me. Last but not least, I have a husband whose companionship is all I can ask for - who understands me and loves me with a completeness I never expected to find. I look forward to sharing all of this with my baby who is due any day now!

No comments: