Saturday, October 07, 2006

Fajitas para me

My heart goes out to diabetics everywhere. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a couple of weeks ago which hopefully means I only deal with this condition for another two months. Then it's back to full on gluttony with respect to chocolate dipped ice cream, french fries, and white bread.

We've been trying out a bunch of different foods just to see how it affects me versus him. I was saddened to see that the In 'n Out double-double (despite the reassurances of my dietician) caused my blood sugar to go above the desired 130 limit. Albert's blood sugar had already self-regulated down to a 93... and he had had the whole plate of fries with ketchup.

Still, there are lots of things I can eat that are quite tasty. My favorite so far has been our version of the fajitas so here is the recipe:

Chicken Fajitas for the Diabetic who loves to eat

1 whole wheat tortilla
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 purple onion
1 chicken breast
1 orange bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1/2 avocado
bunch of cilantro
salsa (as much as you want - go crazy because this barely has any carbs)

Cut the chicken, onion, and peppers. First sautee the chicken. Salt to taste and add course ground pepper. When the chicken has almost fully cooked, add the onion and peppers. Continue to sautee until the the onions are fully cooked and slightly translucent. On a separate frying pan, heat the tortilla and sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the tortilla. Warm until the cheese has melted. Slice the avocado. Over the tortilla, add the chicken, onion and peppers. Add the sliced avocado, cilantro and salsa and you are ready to eat!

These fajitas were tasty and kept my blood sugar level fairly low. It should be pretty healthy as it's not too high in fat (except for the cheese). I'll keep adding recipes that end up working for me!

No comments: